I am fascinated with the spirit of living beings, both human and not. I am happily surprised and delighted when I can reveal their life's light in my work.
- Most days you will find me in my new studio west of Wynnewood happily mixing oils, painting, scraping revealing layers and bringing my visions to life on canvas and panels.
- I am fascinated with the spirit of living beings, both human and not, and am happily surprised and delighted when I can reveal their life’s light in my work.
- Heart tugging scenes, character lines, life lived long, if not well, these are things that pull me in and keep me painting.
- A child of Oklahoma. Shirley has lived in numerous states as an adult but the trail always led back to home, Oklahoma. Her early upbringing on her grandfather's farm in her formative years had a great influence on her work.
- She began painting after her children were raised and had her first studio in the back of her husband's offices in Wewoka, Oklahoma.
- Her first taste of art instruction was at Seminole College. When the class got to oil painting, she knew she had found her medium.
- Her childhood fascination with all things in the 1880's fueled her eventual concentration on Western Art. She says, "Who knew that all of those Saturday black and white cowboy movies would have such an effect on my life?".
- Rural Oklahoma called her back in 2016 where she can be found on a daily basis in her studio happily painting images of the people of the American frontier in a representation style.
- Shirley's art is in collections internationally and throughout the United States.