My figurative paintings aim to communicate fleeting expression and delve deeper into the imagined landscapes that often exist beyond the surface.
- I discovered a passion for art at a young age and it has since been my instrument of communication and expression. But, it is the process of painting, of creating and modeling an image- one stroke at a time, and the thrill of watching it come to life that drives me to keep creating.
- Working primarily in oils, I have painted a variety of subject matter through the years. However, I find myself continuously returning to the revealing, narrative qualities of the human face and figure. I am drawn to the challenge of capturing expression in a way that invites the viewer into a deeper conversation about the shared human experience. When we look carefully and purposefully into the face of another human being, we begin to hear a dialog, to feel a connection, and to find a place of understanding. My aim is to communicate fleeting expression and delve deeper, often imagining the landscapes that exist beyond the surface.
- I approach my Figurative paintings in a painterly and expressive style, exploring these qualities through thoughtful compositions and the careful assembly of brushstrokes. I find inspiration in the works of masters such as John Singer Sargent and Paul Cezanne, as well as the works of contemporary painters such as Nicholas Uribeb and Hollis Dunlap.
- April Dawes studied Painting and Graphic Design at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma, receiving her BFA in 1999. In the years following, April worked as a graphic designer and commission artist until the birth of her children. In addition to homeschooling her 3 children, April has taught private and group drawing lessons and art classes for the past 5 years. She currently works as a semi-full-time studio artist, and has begun showing her work in galleries over the past few years.
- Following a recent move from Colorado, April resides in Stillwater, Oklahoma with her husband, 3 children and 2 dogs. When not working in her studio, April enjoys traveling, camping and spending time with her family.